With the festive season fast approaching, we asked a representative sample of 500 New Zealanders what their favourite public holiday is.
Over half of respondents said Christmas Day is their favourite public holiday.
- 54% said Christmas is their favourite public holiday.
- 16% said Easter weekend (second most chosen public holiday)
- Other tested holidays such as New Year’s Day, Anzac Day, Boxing Day, Labour Day, Waitangi Day and Queens Birthday were picked as the favourite by less than 10% of respondents each.
There were clear differences across gender and age groups.
- Respondents aged under 30 (68%) were more likely to pick Christmas Day as their favourite holiday compared to those aged over 60s (43%). However the under 30s were less likely to pick Easter weekend (6%) compared to the over 60s (24%).
- Female respondents were more likely to have said Christmas Day (69%) compared to male respondents (38%).
- This online survey was conducted from 12th to 17th November 2018.
- The margin of error is +/-4.4%.